Mon, Sep 19|
Alberta Kick Off Fieldtrip! (Fort Normandeau & Kerry Wood Nature Centre)
Time & Location
Sep 19, 2022, 10:10 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Fort Normandeau, 28054 Township Rd 382, Alberta T4S 2B9, Canada
About the Event
Roots families are invited to join us for Fall 2022 Kickoff at Fort Normandeau & Kerry Wood Nature Centre!
This will take place at 2 locations starting at Fort Normandeau in the morning, and ending at Kerry Wood Nature Centre in the afternoon. We will be running 2 programs at each location simultaneously.
Fort Normandeau Programs:
- Lost in the Woods: This program is geared towards ages 9 and under. Do you hug a tree? Do you call for help? Do you drink from the stream or eat the berries? We will learn how to keep ourselves alive if we get separated from our group in the wilderness.
- Edible Plant Walk: This program is geared towards ages 10 and up. There is a world of yummy treats right on our doorsteps - if you know where to look! We will explore the plants that wildlife use for its daily survival, as well as a few basic species that are safe for us to eat and how to identify them (Note: due to mimicry and potential harm with misidentification about wild mushrooms we will NOT include this in this program).
Kerry Wood Nature Centre Programs:
- Naturalist 101: This program is geared towards ages 9 and under. You will be introduced to everything outdoors from insects to ungulates and lichen to trees.
- Skills To Survive: This program is geared towards Ages 10 and up. Do you have the skills to survive? Whether this is your first encounter with survival skills or if you already know the basics and more comprehensive exploration of bushcraft this program is sure to leave you better prepared for your next outdoor adventure so you can thrive while you survive.
Ticket prices include attendance at both locations. Families can choose to participate in one program together or split up and purchase tickets according to the age of the child. If you choose to put your children in different programs based on the age of each child we require the parent to stay with the younger child's program.
10:15am - arrival time at Fort Normandeau
10:30 - 12:00 - Programs
12:00 - 12:45 - Lunch*
12:45 - 1:15 Travel to Kerry Wood Nature Centre
1:30 - 3:00 Programs
* For lunch you can choose to either stay at Fort Normandeau or travel the ½ hour to Kerry Wood Nature Centre and eat there. Kerry Wood Nature Centre has two playgrounds for the children to use. Everyone needs to arrive at Kerry Wood Nature Centre by 1:15pm in order to check in and organize for the second half of the programming for the day.
- Ages: All ages welcome (Note that it is not recommended to bring strollers or wagons during the programming portion)
- Cost: $12/person; payment is required for everyone except babies in carriers. Babies in carriers are free, but still need a ticket.
- Registration Deadline: September 11, 2022
- Refunds: No refunds after Registration Deadline.
- Sandals are not allowed! Wear clothing suited for the weather. Bring bug spray, a sun hat, sunscreen, your lunch & snacks, and lots of drinking water. We will be outdoors for the whole day so plan accordingly.
- This field trip is open to Roots families only
Tammy Eacott, 403-616-1381, TammyE@rootshomeed.com
- Ticket type
2022 Kickoff (Woods & Natural)
Lost in the Woods & Naturalist 101 (geared for ages 9 & under)Price$13.00Sold Out
- Ticket type
2022 Kickoff (Edible & Skills)
Edible Plant Walk and Skills to Survive (geared for Ages 10 and up)Price$13.00Sold Out
- Ticket type
2022 Kickoff (Baby in Carrier)Price$0.00Sale ended