Mon, Feb 07|
Calgary North Support Group - February 2022
Time & Location
Feb 07, 2022, 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. MST
Calgary, 730 101 St SW, Calgary, AB T3H 3Z5, Canada
About the Event
Location changed for the North support group
February – Gail Poffenroth (Veteran Roots Mom & Roots Facilitator)
We work hard to make sure our kids know their times tables and know how to spell and know where the country of Eritrea is, but we often overlook the importance of addressing instruction in the area of emotional health and more specifically of developing the quality/virtue of resilience. Now more than ever before, home schooling parents need to consider how to teach a child the skills and knowledge that is needed to cope with the emotional challenges that arise in a world where lockdowns, masking and vaccine mandates, lawlessness, antisemitism and antiChristian violence (just to name a few) create daily opportunities for kids to experience high levels of stress and even trauma. Because of the world we now live in, raising an awareness that helping our kids learn how to recognize, manage and/or respond to the emotions of fear, anxiety, anger, shame and guilt that arise from the adversity and trauma they are facing at an increasing rate in these last days, is of utmost importance and therefore the focus of this month's meeting.
Common Questions about Support Group Meetings
What happens at support group meetings?
This is a time for Roots parents and children to come together to enjoy one another’s company while supporting each other on our homeschooling journey. Our meetings follow a basic format of announcements, devotional, main topic/ discussion and ends with small group prayer time. Coffee, tea, and snacks are provided for the parents only.
Can I bring my children?
Absolutely, bring your children!
Crawlers – Age 3 will go in the “nursery”
Aged 4-6 children have their own class with age-appropriate activities. Children must be potty-trained before they can go into this class.
Ages 7 and up to the gym where they may spend some time all together and part of the time divided into two groups.
Please encourage your children to participate in the planned activities. Parents keep their tiny ones with them since we’re not set up to provide that level of care.
Things to Note:
- Registration for each meeting is not required but it is recommended, so we can have your name tags printed and signing in children can be expedited upon arrival.
- Make sure kids come dressed in proper clean indoor footwear for running (no flip flops or winter boots)
- Please put all coats backpacks and extra shoes against the walls in designated classrooms to keep the hallways clear in case of an emergency.
- Bring labelled water bottles for children (due to allergies, please save snacks for the drive home).
- Please remind children to be respectful of the leaders and listen to the instructions being given. It is a more enjoyable experience when everyone listens!
- Please take everyone to the washroom before signing them in to their appropriate classes.
Current regulations can be found at: https://open.alberta.ca/publications/cmoh-order-44-2021
- Students are not required to wear a mask during the activity.
- Please do not attend if students or parents show signs of illness. See: Alberta Health Checklist
- Alberta Health has recognized the benefit of our support groups and is strongly encouraging us to continue to meet. (See: Letter from AB Associate Minister of Health)
By registering for this event, I understand that TFH society and its branches Roots Home Education/The Father’s House Christian School, at all organizational levels, will not be held responsible for accidents, injury, loss or damage to an individual or any individual’s property. I agree the applicant/s are in good health and able to participate in the physical activity of this program. In the event the applicant is injured, I give permission for a staff member or parent volunteer to seek medical attention.
I voluntarily agree to assume all the foregoing risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to my children or myself due to Covid-19 associated with this event.
Tammy Eacott, 403-616-1381, email@example.com
Feb. 7, 2022 - Mom
Please keep your tiny ones with you since we’re not set up to provide that level of care.
Feb. 7, 2022 (Ages 7+)
Feb. 7, 2022 (Ages 4-6)
Children must be potty-trained before they can go into this class.
Feb. 7, 2022 - Toddler
(Crawlers - Age 3)