Thu, Jun 08|
Frank Slide & Bellevue Mine Tour
This will be a full day fieldtrip as we visit two different locations, Frank Slide Interpretive Centre & Bellevue Underground Mine.
Time & Location
Jun 08, 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Crowsnest Pass, Blairmore, AB T0K, Canada
About the Event
This will be a full day fieldtrip as we visit two locations, Frank Slide Interpretive Centre & Bellevue Underground Mine.
The Frank Slide Interpretive Centre, in southern Alberta's spectacular Crowsnest Pass, overlooks Canada's deadliest rockslide. See and hear first-hand what happened the night Turtle Mountain fell. Enjoy engaging storytelling, interactive displays, gripping accounts, and award-winning shows.
Address: 1.5 km off Highway #3 Crowsnest Pass. See website for directions. We will meet at the front doors of the interpretive centre to take attendance.
Frank Slide Program Details:
- A 1.5 km guided trail walk through the rocks of the Frank Slide
- Learn the geology of how Turtle Mountain was formed and why the slide came down
- Hear fascinating stories of the people involved, both survivors and victims
- What knowledge might have helped the residents of Frank escape the rockslide in 1903?
- Watch a 30 minute video called "On the Edge of Destruction"
Bellevue Underground Mine
The Bellevue Underground Mine is a unique and historically designated underground coal mine located in the Crowsnest Pass. We provide visitors with an authentic experience of what it was like to be a coal miner, while on an exciting hour-long tour underground guided by Heritage Interpreters.
Directions to Bellevue Underground Mine. We will meet near the front entrance to the mine to take attendance.
Bellevue Underground Mine Program Details:
- The underground tour will take you 1,000 feet into the mine, wher eyou will be 150 feet below the surface. Explore the mine's inner-workings whil eyou learn about the rich history of one of Canada's underground coal mines with an interpreter.
- The temperature in the mine is about 1°C, be sure to bring a jacket to keep warm
- The mine is an easy walk and the tunnels are wide. It is a gravel/dirt path. Strollers with large wheels or a wagon are best (umbrella strollers don’t work well) if bringing toddlers or babies.
- A mining helmet & lamp will be provided for each attendee.
- Clothing Suggestions: Wear sturdy footwear and weather-appropriate clothing required for 1.5 km hike & a warm coat for the cooler temperature in the mine
- Recommended Ages: All Ages Welcome. Please note that the mine is cold and dark, which may not be suitable for all children.
- This is open to Roots families only
- Should guests bring lunch? Yes bring your lunch, snacks and drinks for the day
- Are younger (non-participating) siblings welcome? Yes but the facilities have asked that younger children be kept quiet and do not disrupt the tour guides as they talk. Children are required to stay within arms reach of thier parents at all times!
- Arrival Time: 9:30am, tours start at both venues at 10am
- Registration deadline date: May 30th
- Refund Policy: no refunds past the registration deadline of May 30th, 2023
- Can I drop off my child for the day? No, parents are required to attend with thier child and purchase a ticket for everyone attending.
- We will need to split this program into two groups since each venue can only accomodate a maximum of 30 people. If you would like to be in the same group as another family, you can make this request during the registration. We will do our best to accomodate these requests, however spots will be given in a first come first serve basis.
On behalf of my child, I/we hereby waive and release the Roots Christian Home Education Fellowship,The Father’s House Christian School and any Roots volunteer/facilitator/administrative staff of the Roots Christian Home Education Fellowship from any liability to my(our) children. I/We are fully aware of the risks and potential for harm involved in such events, and on behalf of our child, release from liability Roots Christian Home Education Fellowship (Roots), The Father’s House Christian School and waive any claims such minor may have as a result of an accident, mishap or negligence of the Released Party and/or and other party under or affiliated with the Released Party.
I acknowledge that I, the parent/guardian of the registered attendee/s agree to stay on site at the venue of the program to oversee my child/ren for the duration of the program. Should I not be able to stay at the venue with my child/ren, a handwritten note with my signature will be sent with my child and given to the program organizer, stating the adult who is staying on site and has agreed to be responsible for my child/ren for the duration of the program.
Organizer Contact Information: Wanda Chartrand email@example.com
Student Ages 5-17
1 parent MUST attend with your child to this event.
Children ages 1-4 & Babies
Note that the mine is cold and dark which may not be suitable to all children.