Fri, Jan 12|
Norquay Ski Day - January 12, 2024
Skiing & Snowboarding at Mt. Norquay!
Time & Location
Jan 12, 2024, 9:15 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Mt Norquay, 2 Mt Norquay Rd, Banff, AB T1L 1B4, Canada
About the Event
This event is open to non-Roots families that would like to join us for a day on the slopes!
- Check out the Ability Level Classification section below. You need to know your level before purchasing tickets.
- There is different pricing depending on your age AND your lesson level. Click on 'VIEW MORE PRICE OPTIONS' under each ticket heading to see all available options.
- Please read the details carefully to make sure you select the appropriate ticket(s) for your family.
Registration Deadline: Friday December 22, 2023
We need a minimum of 20 students to run the ski/snowboarding day, and there is a maximum of 100 students.
4 year old’s purchase a special 4 year old student lesson ticket.
5-year-olds purchase a special 5-year-old Student Lesson ticket.
6 -17-year-olds register in Student Lessons.
Adults (18+) register for Adult lift tickets.
- Student lessons are two hours with a maximum ratio of 1:8. In the 4 year old lessons are a maximium ratio of 1:2. Students in levels 1-3 will only receive lift tickets for the magic carpet area. If during the lessons the instructor believes the student is capable of skiing on harder terrain he will upgrade the students ticket (at no charge).
- Adult lessons must be booked yourself through the Norquay Ski School at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive 50% off regular priced adult group lessons so it will cost around $77.50 + tax. You can purchase lift tickets and rentals through this event page.
IF needed, like levels (ex. 1 & 2) will be combined to meet minimums.
The Canadian Ski and Snowboard Instructors Alliance certify all Mt. Norquay Snow Sports Centre instructors.
If you are renting ski or snowboard gear from Norquay, then all gear needs to be returned by 3:30 pm. Lifts close at 4 pm so if you would like to stay longer than 3:30 pm it's recommended that you rent elsewhere.
- 9 - 9:30 am - Arrival and get geared up (NEED TO BE READY TO GO FOR LESSONS AT 10)
- 10 am - 12 pm - Student lessons with Norquay instructors
- 12 pm - Lunch break
- 12:30 pm - 4:00 pm - Skiing /snowboarding with chaperones or with friends
- 3:30 pm - Rentals need to be returned to Pro Shop
Once you arrive, proceed to the lodge, which is the building on your right as you walk towards the ski hill. If you are renting, your rental gear should be already waiting for you in the lodge. We need to have everyone ready to start their ski/ snowboard lesson by 10 am. If you are bringing your own gear you are able to put your boots on in the lodge. Each student will receive a Magic Carpet or lift ticket from the ski/snowboard instructor at the start of their lessons. Once lessons are underway the chaperones will receive their lift ticket for the day.
Students in levels 1-3 will only receive lift tickets for the magic carpet area. If during the lessons the instructor believes the student is capable of skiing on harder terrain he will upgrade the students ticket (at no charge).
Adults are free to ski until they are required to chaperone. The special rates for adult lift tickets have been extended to us with the understanding that adults who take advantage of these will be available to chaperone kids if required once the lessons are done. These may be your kids or other kids.
Lodge/Food Adults and siblings that are not skiing are able to stay in the lodge during the day. Pack a lunch or there are options for purchasing food and free wi-fi.
Once the lessons are complete, the instructors will tell the students where they can ski or snowboard based on their ability. If Norquay staff see a child ski or snowboarding on terrain that they have not been instructed to be on (i.e a green skier going down a black run) then the staff may choose to cut up the child's lift ticket and end their day of skiing early.
Please note soft goods are not available to rent. Weather in the mountains can change without notice. We recommended that parents send their kids to Norquay with the following proper winter clothing:
- Long underwear top and bottom
- Ski/snowboard pants and jacket
- Hats under helmets
- Gloves or mitts (gore-tex/nylon outer shell)
- Neck tube or scarf (scarfs will need to be inside the jacket)
- Please avoid cotton fabrics
- If you have a learner, a spare of gloves is highly recommended
ABILITY LEVEL CLASSIFICATION
SKIERS (4-17 years old)
- Never skied before.
- Been once or twice, familiar with sliding, familiar with equipment use & familiar with Magic Carpet.
- Can stop and turn on Magic Carpet, confident stopping on beginner terrain, confident turning on beginner terrain & confident use of Magic Carpet.
- Confident on green terrain, can stop in a snowplow on green terrain, can turn confidently in a snowplow on green terrain & familiar with the use of chairlifts.
- Confident on blue terrain, comfortable turning and stopping on blue terrain, can parallel turn on blue terrain, can Hockey Stop on blue terrain & familiar with the use of all types of lifts.
- Confident on black terrain, comfortable turning and stopping on black terrain, can parallel turn on blue terrain, comfortable in trees and bumps on blue terrain & can Hockey Stop on blue terrain.
- Confident anywhere on the mountain, can ski double black diamond terrain, parallel turns and Hockey Stops on black terrain, comfortable in bumps on black terrain & comfortable in tighter tree runs, on black terrain.
SNOWBOARDERS (4-17 years old)
- Never snowboarded before.
- Snowboarded once or twice can side-slip on the Magic Carpet on toe/heel edge, can stop with control on beginner terrain & comfortable on Magic Carpet.
- Comfortable on beginner terrain, can pendulum left and right on toe/heel edge on green terrain, can stop with control on green terrain & can turn left/right on green terrain (not yet linking turns).
- Comfortable on green terrain, can link turns on green terrain, can pendulum toe/heel edge on blue terrain & can stop with control on blue terrain.
- Comfortable on blue terrain, can link turns on blue terrain, can pendulum toe/heel edge on black terrain & can stop in control on black terrain.
- Comfortable on black terrain, can link turns on black terrain, can link turns in moguls on blue terrain & some knowledge of small Terrain Park features.
- Confident Anywhere on the Mountain, Can Link Turns on Any Terrain, Can Link Turns in Moguls on Black Terrain, Can Link Turns in Treed Areas & Basic Knowledge of Terrain Park Features and Skills.
Refunds cannot be given past the registration deadline. Due to the complexities inherent in this event tickets may not be transferred or re-sold.
IMPORTANT! The student waiver and info form (linked below) need to be filled out for each person taking a lesson or renting equipment. The form must be filled out in advance and emailed to Alexis at email@example.com BY January 3 or you will not be allowed to participate. Make sure to fill in the student's initials on page 1 and signature on page 3 where required. When you save the files, please save each completed student form as a separate file and name it "Waiver" followed by the participant's name and the event date (example: Waiver-Naomi-Kaya-Jan-12-2024).
There are two ways to do this:
- After downloading the waiver to your computer go to https://pdfwrench.com and upload the pdf document. Use the tools on the right-hand side to fill and sign the document and save it to your computer. Clear the data on the right-hand side and redo it for other family members. Please note that you can only add one signature to the form so if you are filling out the form for your student you will have to use the "free drawing" tool on the right side so the student can sign their name as well. Please use a computer to do this, it will be extremely difficult to do on a phone.
- Download the form and fill out all the input fields for each person individually, print out and sign the document(s) and then scan each person's waiver individually, name the file as instructed, and email the file(s) to me.
**If you have more than one participant in your group you should be emailing me more than one file.**
Naomi Kaya at 403-890-6663 or
Registration Deadline: Friday, December 22, 2023
Waiver Deadline: Wednesday, January 3, 2023
NOTE: Please read the details carefully to make sure you select the appropriate ticket(s) for your family.
- Ticket type
Students 4 years old
For 4 years onlyPriceFrom $53.70 to $77.50
- lift ticket and lesson$53.70
- Rentals, lift ticket, lesson$77.50
- Ticket type
Students 5 years oldPriceFrom $33.50 to $57.30
- Lesson and lift ticket$33.50
- Rentals, lesson and lift ticke$57.30
- Ticket type
Students 6-17 years
Ages 6- 17PriceFrom $58.50 to $82.25
- Lesson and lift ticket$58.50
- Rental, lesson, lift ticket$82.25
- Ticket type
Students Lessons Only
This is for students who already have season passes at Norquay. No lift ticket included in this pricePrice$33.50
- Ticket type
Adult lift ticketPrice$67.25
- Ticket type
Adult rentals and lift ticketPrice$91.00