Fri, Jan 13|
Norquay Ski Day - January 13, 2023
Skiing & Snowboarding at Mt. Norquay!
Time & Location
Jan 13, 2023, 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Mount Norquay, #2 Mt Norquay Rd, Banff, AB T1L 1B4, Canada
About the Event
This event is open to non-Roots families that would like to join us for a day on the slopes!
- Check out the Ability Level Classification section below. You need to know your level before purchasing tickets.
- There is different pricing depending on your age AND your lesson level. Click on 'VIEW MORE PRICE OPTIONS' under each ticket heading to see all available options.
- Please read the details carefully to make sure you select the appropriate ticket(s) for your family.
Registration Deadline: Thursday, December 22, 2022
We need a minimum of 20 participants to run the ski/snowboarding day, and there is a maximum of 100 participants.
5-year-olds purchase a special 5-year-old Student Lesson ticket.
6 -17-year-olds register in Student Lessons.
Adults (18+) register for Adult Lessons or lift tickets only. Note: We require a minimum number of students participating in the adult categories in order to run lessons. Refunds will be made for those tickets purchased if the minimums are not met.
- Student lessons are two hours with a maximum ratio of 1:8.
- Adult lessons will be two hours long and be adult-specific (not mixed groups with students). Minimum 3 adults per level.
IF needed, like levels (ex. 1 & 2) will be combined to meet minimums.
The Canadian Ski and Snowboard Instructors Alliance certify all Mt. Norquay Snow Sports Centre instructors.
If you are renting ski or snowboard gear from Norquay, then all gear needs to be returned by 3:30 pm. Lifts close at 4 pm so if you would like to stay longer than 3:30 pm it's recommended that you rent elsewhere.
- 9 - 9:30 am - Arrival and get geared up (NEED TO BE READY TO GO FOR LESSONS AT 10)
- 10 am - 12 pm - Student & Adult sessions with Norquay instructors
- 12 pm - Lunch break
- 12:30 pm - 4:00 pm - Skiing /snowboarding with chaperones or with friends
- 3:30 pm - Rentals need to be returned to Pro Shop
Once you arrive, proceed to the lodge, which is the building on your right as you walk towards the ski hill. If you are renting, your rental gear should be already waiting for you in the lodge. We need to have everyone ready to start their ski/ snowboard lesson by 10 am. If you are bringing your own gear you are able to put your boots on in the lodge. Each student will receive a Magic Carpet or lift ticket from the ski/snowboard instructor at the start of their lessons. Once lessons are underway the chaperones will receive their lift ticket for the day.
Adults are free to ski until they are required to chaperone. The special rates for adult lift tickets have been extended to us with the understanding that adults who take advantage of these will be available to chaperone kids if required once the lessons are done. These may be your kids or other kids.
Lodge/Food Adults and siblings that are not skiing are able to stay in the lodge during the day. Pack a lunch or there are options for purchasing food and free wi-fi.
Once the lessons are complete, the instructors will tell the students where they can ski or snowboard based on their ability. If Norquay staff see a child ski or snowboarding on terrain that they have not been instructed to be on (i.e a green skier going down a black run) then the staff may choose to cut up the child's lift ticket and end their day of skiing early.
Please note soft goods are not available to rent. Weather in the mountains can change without notice. We recommended that parents send their kids to Norquay with the following proper winter clothing:
- Long underwear top and bottom
- Ski/snowboard pants and jacket
- Hats under helmets
- Gloves or mitts (gore-tex/nylon outer shell)
- Neck tube or scarf (scarfs will need to be inside the jacket)
- Please avoid cotton fabrics
- If you have a learner, a spare of gloves is highly recommended
ABILITY LEVEL CLASSIFICATION
SKIERS (5-17 years old)
- Never skied before.
- Been once or twice, familiar with sliding, familiar with equipment use & familiar with Magic Carpet.
- Can stop and turn on Magic Carpet, confident stopping on beginner terrain, confident turning on beginner terrain & confident use of Magic Carpet.
- Confident on green terrain, can stop in a snowplow on green terrain, can turn confidently in a snowplow on green terrain & familiar with the use of chairlifts.
- Confident on blue terrain, comfortable turning and stopping on blue terrain, can parallel turn on blue terrain, can Hockey Stop on blue terrain & familiar with the use of all types of lifts.
- Confident on black terrain, comfortable turning and stopping on black terrain, can parallel turn on blue terrain, comfortable in trees and bumps on blue terrain & can Hockey Stop on blue terrain.
- Confident anywhere on the mountain, can ski double black diamond terrain, parallel turns and Hockey Stops on black terrain, comfortable in bumps on black terrain & comfortable in tighter tree runs, on black terrain.
SNOWBOARDERS (5-17 years old)
- Never snowboarded before.
- Snowboarded once or twice can side-slip on the Magic Carpet on toe/heel edge, can stop with control on beginner terrain & comfortable on Magic Carpet.
- Comfortable on beginner terrain, can pendulum left and right on toe/heel edge on green terrain, can stop with control on green terrain & can turn left/right on green terrain (not yet linking turns).
- Comfortable on green terrain, can link turns on green terrain, can pendulum toe/heel edge on blue terrain & can stop with control on blue terrain.
- Comfortable on blue terrain, can link turns on blue terrain, can pendulum toe/heel edge on black terrain & can stop in control on black terrain.
- Comfortable on black terrain, can link turns on black terrain, can link turns in moguls on blue terrain & some knowledge of small Terrain Park features.
- Confident Anywhere on the Mountain, Can Link Turns on Any Terrain, Can Link Turns in Moguls on Black Terrain, Can Link Turns in Treed Areas & Basic Knowledge of Terrain Park Features and Skills.
ADULTS (18+ years old)
- Learn To Ski or Snowboard: Never skied or snowboarded before. It covers the basic skills needed to get sliding on your own.
- Once or Twice: This is designed to get you from the beginner area to a groomed Green Run. You should be able to stop and change direction and move around obstacles.
- Green Runners: This level is designed so you can gain more confidence on all green runs and green moguls.
- Blue Runners: This level is designed so you can gain confidence in groomed and non-groomed blue runs and green moguls.
- Black Diamond runners: At this level, you must be able to ski on groomed black runs in parallel. You must have constant round turns with edge grip in the fall line on any groomed black run.
Refunds cannot be given past the registration deadline.
IMPORTANT! The student waiver and info form (linked below) need to be filled out for each person taking a lesson or renting equipment. The form must be filled out in advance and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org BY DECEMBER 27 or you will not be allowed to participate. Make sure to fill in the student's initials on page 1 and signature on page 3 where required. When you save the files, please save each completed student form as a separate file and name it "Waiver" followed by the participant's name and the event date (example: Waiver-Cheri-Janzen-Jan-13-2023).
There are two ways to do this:
- After downloading the waiver to your computer go to https://pdfwrench.com and upload the pdf document. Use the tools on the right-hand side to fill and sign the document and save it to your computer. Clear the data on the right-hand side and redo it for other family members. Please note that you can only add one signature to the form so if you are filling out the form for your student you will have to use the "free drawing" tool on the right side so the student can sign their name as well. Please use a computer to do this, it will be extremely difficult to do on a phone.
- Download the form and fill out all the input fields for each person individually, print out and sign the document(s) and then scan each person's waiver individually, name the file as instructed, and email the file(s) to me.
**If you have more than one participant in your group you should be emailing me more than one file.**
Cheri Janzen, 587-433-2648 or email@example.com
Registration Deadline: Thursday, December 22, 2022
Waiver Deadline: Tuesday, December 27, 2022
NOTE: Please read the details carefully to make sure you select the appropriate ticket(s) for your family.
Level 1 or 2 Lesson
Students 2-hour lesson in level 1 or 2 & a Magic Carpet ticket. Adult 2-hour lesson in level 1 or 2 & a lift ticket. Season pass holder 2-hour lesson, no lift ticket, make sure you bring your pass.From $29.50 to $86.80
Level 3+ Lesson
2-hour lesson in levels 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 & a lift ticket. Season Pass Holder - 2-hour lesson in levels 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. Make sure to bring your season pass.From $29.50 to $126.30
Level 1 or 2 Lesson & Rental
Student 2-hour lesson in level 1 or 2, a Magic Carpet ticket, & equipment rental. Adult 2-hour lesson in level 1 or 2, a lift ticket, & equipment rental. Season pass holder 2-hour lesson, & equipment rental, no lift ticket, make sure you bring your pass.From $52.20 to $109.50
Level 3+Lesson & Rental
2-hour lesson in levels 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7, a lift ticket, and equipment rental. Season Pass Holder 2-hour lesson in levels 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 and equipment rental. Make sure to bring your season's pass.From $52.20 to $149.00
Adult Lift Ticket ONLY
Chaperone Adult lift ticket only - no rentals or lessons.$62.50
Adult Lift Ticket & Rental
Adult lift ticket with equipment rental (NO Lesson)$84.10