November Support Group & AGM Calgary
Time & Location
About the Event
NOTE: the support group meeting will begin at 6pm due to the AGM running from 8-9pm
Can you have a peaceful & productive homeschool day? Guest Speaker: Rosaleen Milner
We all hold the hope of a beautiful homeschooling journey. We long to provide a peaceful learning experience for our children along with healthy family dynamics and productive home-life. So often though the reality of real life with real people can topple the beautiful vision leaving us feeling defeated and overwhelmed. Can a balance be found between the often-tense crossroads of heart and home, teaching and training, peace and productivity? This is a daily struggle to be sure. Years of homeschooling a large family has taught me some valuable lessons towards simplifying and structuring the homeschool day; so that the richness of these years can be enjoyed and treasured.
Roots AGM 2020 - This will begin after the above support group meeting has ended at 8pm
What is the purpose of the AGM? As many of you know, when you joined Roots, you did not just join another homeschool board, but you became a member of the Roots CHEF society. As a member you are given voting rights, a voice within Roots, regarding the decisions that are being made for this school year for Roots.
The AGM is coordinated every year in accordance to our society bylaws, which requires 10% (25 families for 2020), of all eligible voting members to come together to discuss any pertinent information about Roots for the coming school year. You will be asked to vote on the proposed budget, any newly nominated board of directors (these will be announced in our AGM report) and will also be given the opportunity to ask questions. You can expect the AGM report to be sent to you via e-mail in mid October, please take the time to review this information. Families are given one vote per household. If you are able, please plan to attend this meeting either virtually or in person.
(The Roots CHEF bylaws are posted in the members section of the Roots website)
In Person limited seats
This ticket is admittance for 1 Roots parent to attend the in person support group meeting on November 16th from 6-9pm. Only those who have RSVP'd will be allowed in the facility. This is a private event and NOT open to public or drop ins. RSVP is required to attend.
Tickets need to be reserved in order to receive the link to the online meeting for November 16th from 6-9pm. Those who RSVP must be a Roots family for the 2020 school year in order to be sent the meeting link.
Roots recognizes that our monthly support group meetings have been instrumental in developing the Roots community. These meetings have been highly anticipated through the years, and the relationships that have been developed through our coffee and prayer times cannot be replaced. Unfortunately, due to continued COVID-19 restrictions, we are unable to run the support group meetings as we have in the past for a minimum of the first half of the school year.
In the meantime, we will offer a couple options for families to join us in the way that suits your family:
1) Parents only in-person evenings: This will be the parent portion of the support group meetings. Meetings would include announcements, devotionals, fellowship, and small group prayer time. RSVP will be required through the Roots website each month as we are limited to how many can attend. The maximums for attendance will be based on current Calgary bylaw allowances and will be evaluated each month. (See below for Calgary bylaw details that apply to these meetings.)
2) Live Stream: We will be live streaming the evening meeting each month. RSVP is required to receive the link for the online meeting each month. We understand that this is not the most ideal way to participate for everyone. Here are some ways to get the feel for support group while watching online, be it with others or on your own:
- a) Small in-home gatherings: Families who are comfortable with cohort gatherings can meet in homes with one another for a smaller version of the support group meetings. If you would like to open your home for families to join you, or if you are looking for a home to gather in, please contact the Roots office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can connect you with one another.
- b) On your own: Small group prayer time is one of the most valuable times during our meetings. Those who have logged into the meetings online will be divided into groups. We encourage you to stay signed in to meet other moms and participate in the prayer time and fellowship with one another.
Common Questions about Support Group Meetings
What happens at support group meetings?
This is a time for Roots parents and children to come together to enjoy one another’s company while supporting each other on our homeschooling journey. Our meetings follow a basic format of announcements, devotional, main topic/ discussion and ends with small group prayer time.
Can I bring my children?
For the start of the 2020 season, due to COVID-19 restrictions, children are not allowed to attend the evening in person meetings.
Do face coverings need to be worn in places of worship (support meetings)?
“Places of worship would be included in the bylaw definition of a public premise, as they are enclosed buildings that members of the public have access to. Those attending places of worship are permitted to temporarily remove their face covering to provide or receive service, such as to receive communion.
However, if a place of worship closes its doors to the public for a private event (for example a wedding), it is not a public premises during the event and therefore attendants will not have to wear face coverings.”
Quote taken from City of Calgary Bylaws Q & A section:
Things to Note:
Roots will encourage the practice of physical distancing for all indoor activities.
- In Person RSVP Nov 16th 6-9pm$0$00$0
- Online Viewing for Nov 16th$0$00$0