Time & Location
Feb 09, 2024, 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Hangar Flight Museum, 4629 McCall Way NE, Calgary, AB T2E 7H1, Canada
About the Event
Morning Tour - Theory of Flight
Students will learn the history and stories of the aircraft in our Second World War hangar, as well as the basics of how airplanes fly. Led by one of our knowledgeable volunteers, students have the opportunity to ask questions for more details throughout the tour.
Afternoon Program - Prepare for Takeoff (Glider & Parachute Making)
In this hands-on, classroom based program, students delve deep into how to control things that fly. Starting with building model gliders, students learn about the major components and controls on gliders, and how they help a glider fly. Once their models are complete, they test and modify their gliders to see how the controls work in action.
Students then review parachutes and explore ways we can design parachutes to create the most amount of air resistance. Students experiment with parachute design by building parachutes. After testing parachutes as a group we will discuss changes they think would improve their designs.
Finally, students look at how propellers work to create lift and build a wind up propeller flyer.
- This event is only open to ROOTS families.
- Recommended Grades: All grades
- Registration deadline date: January 17, 2024
- Should guests bring lunch? Yes, if staying for the whole day. There is a 30 minute lunch break between the two programs.
- Are younger (non-participating) siblings welcome? Yes. Everyone coming for the Morning tour needs a ticket, but only those participating in the Afternoon program need one for the afternoon.
- Arrival Time: 9:45am
- Refund Policy: no refunds past registration deadline
- We need your assistance in ensuring that your children are at class on time and picked up at the end of each session on time. This allows the classes to start in a timely manner.
- Parents are responsible for transporting and supervising their children at all times while the child is not in class.
- Parents are responsible to stay on site at the venue during class time in case of an emergency. Should you not be able to stay, a letter with the parent signature, stating who is responsible for your child in your absence (an adult staying on site), must be given to the event organizer.
- There are no refunds past the registration deadline unless a class must be canceled due to lack of student enrollment.
- Each child needs to bring a labeled water bottle, water fountains are not always available.
Students: Roots reserves the right to make final decisions regarding the acceptance of any student into the program. Students who do not demonstrate an attitude of cooperation and willingness to respect the rights and property of others will be dismissed after two warnings are issued. There will be no refund.
On behalf of my child, I/we hereby waive and release the Roots Christian Home Education Fellowship,The Father’s House Christian School and any Roots volunteer/facilitator/administrative staff of the Roots Christian Home Education Fellowship from any liability to my(our) children. I/We are fully aware of the risks and potential for harm involved in such events, and on behalf of our child, release from liability Roots Christian Home Education Fellowship (Roots), The Father’s House Christian School and waive any claims such minor may have as a result of an accident, mishap or negligence of the Released Party and/or and other party under or affiliated with the Released Party.
I acknowledge that I, the parent/guardian of the registered attendee/s agree to stay on site at the venue of the program, and if space allows in the classroom to oversee my child/ren for the duration of the program. Should I not be able to stay at the venue with my child/ren, a handwritten note with my signature will be sent with my child and given to the program organizer, stating the adult who is staying on site and has agreed to be responsible for my child/ren for the duration of the program.
ORGANIZER CONTACT INFORMATION
Tammy Eacott — (403) 616-1381 — TammyE@rootshomeed.com
- Ticket type
Hangar - Morning TourPrice$7.50Sold Out
- Ticket type
Hangar - Afternoon ProgramPrice$8.50Sold Out
This event is sold out